Saturday, January 16, 2010

Harry Reid Redux: "Light-Skinned & No Negro Dialect"

PRESIDENT'S CORNER

By Norris McDonald

I am dark-skinned and have a southern accent (Negro dialect equivalent). So is that why I can't get serious consideration for my legislative proposals in the U.S. Senate? And here I always thought it was just because I support Yucca Mountain as the national repository for our nuclear waste. Now admittedly I have not been up in Harry's face with my support for the nuclear suppository, but now he has me wondering if he would take me seriously if I did.

Oh well, Harry was generalizing anyway. So how pervasive is his statement? Now I am going to have to check those Congressiaonl Black Caucus pictures to see the ratio of light-skinned to dark-skinnned members. And how did James Clyburn (D-SC) get the number three spot in the House of Representatives? He's dark skinned and has a hint of southern accent. What about The White House? Hmmmmm. So maybe it was more than his hyper conservativeness that hampered Clarence Thomas during his confirmation hearing. Let us not forget the 4th Estate. How many dark-skinnned folk do you see on those news shows? Just saying. Maybe Harry was on to something there.

No comments: