Thursday, January 03, 2008

Carol Moseley-Braun Starts Biodynamic Food Company

Former Illinois Senator Carol Moseley-Braun tells Grist Magazine about her new company, Good Food Organics, the umbrella company for a line of biodynamic products called Ambassador Organics. Biodynamic agriculture is a method of organic farming that treats farms as unified and individual organisms, emphasizing balancing the holistic development and interrelationship of the soil, plants, animals as a closed, self-nourishing system (Wiki). Moseley-Braun tells Grist:
"I've been involved with farm policy throughout my career -- from my days 30 years ago in the state legislature, when I created the agriculture high school here in Cook County, Ill., to my work in the United States Senate, to my ambassadorship in New Zealand, with all the agriculture there. On a personal level, my great-grandfather bought a 600-acre farm back in that little window after the Civil War when blacks could buy property in Alabama. Most of the property is still in the family today, and I came back home from New Zealand with the idea that I'd take over the family farm and do it as a biodynamic farm -- continuing my public service by getting involved with healthy food, sustainable agriculture, and nutrition. "

No comments: