Thursday, May 22, 2008

What To Do With The Compact Flourescent Light Bulbs

Most people will probably throw their compact flourescent light bulbs in the trash can but broken bulbs can release a mercury containing powder that can get airborne. Mecury is a neurotoxin that can adversely affect fetuses, infants and young children.

If a bulb is broken in the home or office, the area should be vented well by opening windows to reduce mercury concentrations in the air and it should be scooped up or picked up using tape or some other sticky material and seal in a glass jar or plastic bag. EPA has guidelines for clean up broken CFL bulbs and a listing of state laws regarding the disposal of CFLs. (AP)

No comments: